It is an antibiotic classified as penicillin. Amoxil is the brand name of the medicine (alternative brand-name medications containing amoxicillin are Trimox, Amoxicot, and Moxatag among others.) The generic name of the drug and its active ingredient is amoxicillin (am OX i sil in). The medicine is released in form of tablets containing 500mg or 875mg of amoxicillin and capsules containing 250mg or 500mg of the main component.
The medication is prescribed for patients with infections caused by certain bacteria, including the following:
- Haemophilus influenzae that often causes otitis media in children;
- Staphylococcus that can grow both aerobically and anaerobically;
- coli that is found in the environment, foods, and intestines;
- Streptococcus are found in the skin flora;
- pylori can live in the digestive tract.
Such infections may occur in different parts of the body, including the lower airways, skin, urogenital tract, ear, throat, and nose. The med can be also used as part of combined therapy in patients with stomach ulcers caused by H. Pylori infection.
The dosage varies based upon a range of different factors such as the weight of a patient, his or her age, type of infection, and the severity.
Dosages for adults and children over 40 kg body weight:
The maximum recommended daily dosage is 30mg per kg body weight.
- For mild to moderate infections, the dosage is 250mg or 500mg taken every 8 hrs. or 12 hrs. respectively. If these infections are severe, the dosage can be increased up to 500mg and 875mg or taken every 8 hrs. or 12 hrs. respectively;
- In case of mild to severe LRTI, it is used in the dosage of 500mg or 875mg every 8 hrs. or every 12 hrs.;
- For managing stomach ulcers, the dosage is 1g taken every 12 hrs. as part of combined therapy.
Dosages for children (over 3 months old, less than 40 kg body weight):
- In case of mild to moderate infections, the daily dosage is 20mg per kg body weight or 25mg per kg body weight taken every 8 hrs. or 12 hrs. respectively. (in several doses). For severe infections, the daily dosage is 40 mg per kg body weight or 45mg per kg body weight taken every 8 hrs. or 12 hrs. respectively (in several doses);
- For mild to severe LRTI, it is used in the dosage of 500mg or 875mg every 8 hrs. or 12 hrs. respectively;
- For treating stomach ulcers, the dosage is 1g taken every 12 hrs. or 8 hrs. for combined therapy.
It is taken orally. Swallow a capsule with a drink. Chewable tablets should be chewed before swallowing them. It can be taken on both full and empty stomach. At least 10-day treatment is recommended for all the mentioned above infections, except for H. Pylori infection when the therapy should last for 2 weeks days. It should be taken at the same time every day during the treatment course. If the drug is taken as part of combined therapy, take it allowing with other meds prescribed for this purpose.
There are 69 medicines known to interact with the active ingredient. Amoxil may decrease the effectiveness of certain contraceptive pills.
The following are medicines known to interact with the active ingredient making a great negative impact on the body:
- Other antibiotics;
- Allopurinol (Zyloprim);
- Probenecid (Probalan).
Consulting a doctor before combining different drugs is crucial.
Take the drug only if it is prescribed by your health professional. Even if symptoms disappear, complete the treatment course. Inform your healthcare provider if you have an allergy to certain substances. Do not use the med anymore in case of an allergic reaction to any of its components.
The elderly may need to use it in lower dosages. The use of the med by people with certain health conditions may be associated with a range of risks. Tell your health professional about all acute and chronic diseases that you may have before taking the drug.
The benefits and potential risks of using this med for pregnant and breastfeeding women should be discussed with their doctors. It is necessary to inform your doctor about all the medications that you use before being prescribed Amoxil.
- Stomach pain;
- Yeast infection;
- Severe allergic reactions;
- Severe diarrhea;
- Abnormal tiredness;
- Chest pain;
- Problems with breathing.
The drug is unsuitable for patients experiencing allergy or severe side effects due to its use. Taking the med may not be recommended for patients with the following diseases:
- Kidney/liver diseases;
- Serious breathing problems;
If there is a risk of drug interaction, the use of the med should be avoided.
It is important to avoid overdose, and you can do this by using the drug only in accordance with your doctor’s recommendations. The overdose of Amoxil happens rarely; however, if it is suspected, you should seek urgent medical help.
The symptoms of overdose include:
- A severe rash;
- Abnormal urinating;
- Changes in behavior;